Only three and a half hours from Sydney and eight hours from Melbourne, Canberra is the perfect place for your Car Club to break their drive up, or to base themselves while they explore the surrounding region. Canberra is also an easy drive to Eurobodalla Coast and the majestic Snowy Mountains. View your Canberra Driving Map here.
Alpha Hotel Canberra in Tuggeranong (formerly Country Comfort Greenway), specialises in hotel accommodation for people travelling as part of Car Club events. Here are just some of the reasons why your car club will be delighted to make Alpha Hotel Canberra their base when travelling through, or to Canberra;
- Plenty of easily accessible off-street parking
- A large number of bedding configurations including twins and larger multi-share rooms
- Special accommodation rates for groups
- A variety of catering options to choose from including onsite dinners and breakfasts or Bistro dining at the Tuggeranong Vikings or Southern Cross Clubs next door
- Function rooms for private events
- Free WiFi up to 200mb limit ($5.00 for unlimited thereafter)
- Rooms are designed with easy-access and walk-in showers
- Quiet setting overlooking the Brindabella Ranges just 20 mins from all major Canberra attractions
- A warm and friendly meet-and-greet on arrival by the resident kangaroos.
Suggested Driving Routes into Canberra
From Sydney: 3.5 hours
Exit Sydney on the M5 Motorway that connects to Hume Highway 31, just after Goulburn follow the signs to get onto the Federal Highway. Make another turn onto Sutton Road just before arriving in Canberra itself.
Scenic Drive routes
- Take the Princes Highway coastal route into Batemans Bay and connect up with the Kings Highway Heading towards Canberra by passing through the historic towns of Bungendore and Braidwood.
- Get on the F5 Freeway and take the Mittagong exit to follow the Old Hume Highway throughout the country towns of Moss Vale, Mittagong, Sutton Forest, and Bowral. Get back onto the F5 Freeway and continue towards Canberra and Goulburn.
From Melbourne: 8 hours
Start out on the City Link Tollway until you reach the western ring road and jump onto Hume Highway. Once you reach Yass take the Barton Highway towards Canberra.
Scenic Drive routes
- Follow coastal road Princes Highway through Bairnsdale, Genoa, Batemans Bay, and Eden and then turn onto Kings Highway and head towards Canberra via stops in the historic towns of Bungendore and Braidwood.
- Head inland and drive through Echuca, Bendigo, and Albury-Wodonga and then travel directly towards Canberra. If you have more time, take a detour across the Snowy Mountains and visit the townships of Tumut, Cooma, Jindabyne and Thredbo.